The Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory is the principal astronomical
observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
located 19 km south of Saint Petersburg. It is part of the UNESCO
World Heritage Site Historic Centre of Saint Petersburg.
The observatory was opened in 1839.
Originally, it was a brainchild of the German/Russian astronomer Friedrich Georg Wilhelm von Struve (*1793
in Altona, + 1864 in Pulkowo),
who would become its first director. In 1861, his son Otto Wilhelm
von Struve succeeded him (*1819 in Dorpat/Estonia, +1905 in
From 1890 to 1894 Fyodor Bredikhin
was director of Pulkovo Observarory.
During the siege of Leningrad (1941–1944), the Observatory became
the target of fierce German air raids and artillery bombardment.
All of the buildings were completely destroyed.
In 1946, it began the construction after having cleared the
In May 1954, the Observatory was re-opened, not only having been
but considerably expanded in terms of instruments, employees and
2019 J. Giesen